Thursday, January 22, 2015

CLIMB 13




 Climb Number: 13

Date: 20 June, 2014

Location: Boy Scout Oak Grove, Evergreen Aviation Museum, McMinnville  
Tree Name: Solstice
Tree TypeQuercus garryana (Oregon White Oak)
I've not been good about posting climbs.  There have been many climbs not entered here in the 4+ years I've been keeping this blog.  I'm hoping to attend a facilitator's course, and thought I should throw a few of the more memorable climbs in, so I added this one from last Spring.  
This was a climb done in an infrequent tradition to sleep in the trees on the longest day of the year, so that's what I did.  I set up 2 tree boats (sleeping and storage) in a tall Oak, to spend the shortest night of the year up in a canopy.  It was a bit of a stealth climb, but a group of Marines were breaking camp in the grove nearby, and I think everyone else thought I was somehow related to that group.  

Weather: initially partly cloudy, transitioning into a THUNDER AND LIGHTNING storm at the very end.

Placement: 14 gm bag with Target Line.  TIP was nice and high, and allowed for a single point to be used for placement of both boats.

Rope:  Poison Ivy, camouflage  

Anchor Type:  SRT (my main climb)

Ascent: Yo-yo style with a Petzl Rig.

Movement in the tree: TIP was high enough to serve a the primary anchor for setting up of all the tree boats.  Cinch and separate rope was used to help anchor at times when my swing angle took me out a bit (tying in boats away from the main trunk)

Decent: Petzl I'D

Problems:
None, really.  All-in-all it was a great climb

Things that went well:
Stealth climb.  All equipment was hauled up to the boats.  The park gets some moderate use, and walkers (including dogs) did not know I was up there.  Watching the sun come up on the longest day of the year from the quiet of the trees was a great way to start the Summer. 

No comments: